Tucking A Shredded Heart Back In Where It Belongs

 It doesn't seem to matter how much time passes since our loved one was taken from this physical realm.  There will be moments that hit you like a brick, and the emptiness fills your shredded heart.

Sometimes I catch a glance at my son's photo, and I yearn for his presence.  I know he comes to me in a spiritual way, to comfort me in the moment but I long for more.  

The last days of his existence in this world plaque my mind, and I wish we had talked longer, hugged, and made the most of our last moments together.  Unfortunately, they ways of the world overtook us, as we had to cut his birthday celebration short as the next work day was looming over the evening. I remember picking him up the next morning to drive him to work, and as our last minutes were fading, we were consumed with the time on the clock.  We were running late on the highway, and when I pulled into the community to drop him off, the cement truck was waiting for him. He grabbed his items and rushed out of my car door.  As I said good-bye to him, I never fathomed that it would be the last time I would have that opportunity in person.  The following week, my son was taken from my life and the moments without him tick away.

I savour the times when he appears in my dreams, as I try to mend my heart with those beautiful visions of a life beyond this.  I sometimes have to churn my broken heart back into resemblance of shape, and tuck it back where it belongs.  It's been almost seven years since I survived my greatest challenge, and at times I can't even believe it's been that long since I've heard his chuckle fill the room.  

My son's eyes penetrate mine as I look at his photo and I can hear his words echo in my mind... "Thanks for talking to me, Mom. We'll be together soon enough. Go do what you're suppose to finish there, and before you know it, we'll be face to face again."

I'm not in a rush to leave this world; however, I am excited for our reunion when the time comes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wonderful Mother's Day Surprise From My Son In Heaven

How Grief Transforms As Time Passes